Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A to Z of How I Learned to Love D&D: G is for Grell

I was introduced to DnD through toys and cartoons long before I got to play the game.  One of those toys was he Deadly Grell a bendable PVC monster that TSR produced in the late 70's and early 80's.  I honestly don't remember if I was already watching the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon or not.  I just remember seeing them at my local KayBee Toy Store and HAVING to have them.

Thankfully, my Mom agreed (which happened far more often than not--yes I was spoiled) and remember playing with them for hours, but not really understanding that they were monsters.

Honestly, since I didn't start roleplaying until college, this is what DnD meant to me for years, toys and cartoons.  I firmly believe it really shaped my idea of storytelling and pacing, as I've only truly grasped fantasy as a genre in the last several years.

I wish I knew where these toys were, I'd be glad to share them with my kids.  I was pleased when Hasbro produced Kre-O's for DnD last year, and bought my son some.

Its a shame Hasbro doesn't do more with the IP, I think everyone is missing out.

No comments:

Monster Monday: Ork City's Chupacabra for Shadowdark

Welcome to Ork City! In the middle of Ork City's Hatt Island is the Park, a wild and dangerous forest filled with all manner of nightmar...