Monday, April 6, 2015

A to Z of How I Learned to Love D&D: E is for Eveningstar

The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, that is.

This was my first time as a Dungeon Master for a DnD game.  It was also the launch of my first DnD campaign thoug in all honesty I remember the mistakes more than the campaign itself.

I do know that I read the Time of Troubles trilogy and had heard enough about Lolth to be dangerous.  While running Eveningstar, I committed a cardinal sin, I offered a player a pair of boots that gave him the infravision of a drow and a magic sword IF he would turn on his party.  Sadly, I thought it would be a moment of grand heroism and lead to further adventures beyond the Haunted Halls.  You see the player agreed and set out trying to wipe out his party, ultimately failing.


As he escaped however, he decided to set fire to the area around Eveningstar.  This would prove the kernel of a campaign I'd run in two different editions of DnD.  See, I loathed elves at the time and decided that those areas burned were holy lands to them.  So, a group of elves would form a grand conspiracy to wipe out Cormyr and try to frame it on their cousins, the drow.

Anyway, back to Eveningstar.  I wish I could say I ran that campaign for years, but once out of the Halls, the traitor's new character miscast web and created a situation where my novice skills as a DM created a TPK.  I tried using the Complete Humanoid's Handbook for reincarnation, but I had lost my players by then, and I really can't blame them.

I actually dug out my Eveningstar module a few weeks ago and hope to get a chance to run it sometime soon.

No comments:

Monster Monday: Ork City's Chupacabra for Shadowdark

Welcome to Ork City! In the middle of Ork City's Hatt Island is the Park, a wild and dangerous forest filled with all manner of nightmar...