Saturday, November 23, 2013

Numenera or the 9th World? [UPDATED]

There are quite a few things I like about the Cypher system that powers Numenera and the forthcoming The Strange.  But some things I don't like too.

This led me to brainstorm a version inspired by 13th Age and it's ArchMage Engine:

The 9th World.

Right now it's stripped down to assigning 8 points (just like Backgrounds) to your Type, Descriptor, and Focus.

First I decide that I'm a Rugged Glaive who Controls Gravity.

I spend 2 Points on Rugged, 3 on Glavie and 3 on Controls Gravity.

Now here is how that looks Rugged (+2) Glaive (+3) who Controls Gravity (+3).

If I'm doing something that falls within one of those parameters I get the bonus listed, if the GM feels it's a shared bonus I use the highest bonus.  If I'm trying something that seems out of place I just roll the d20.

I'm contemplating using Rank as Level, but am leaving that out for now.

This version is far more about player narrative and less on rules.

At the moment I'm importing Effort as a pool of points that can be spent on a 1 for 1 basis to add to a d20 roll or spend 1 point for a 2 point bonus to damage.  Weapons would do Rank x d8 or d10 damage, depending on type.

Glaive would focus on combat and conflict and would have 14/10/10 6 points to divide up between AC (starts at +2), PD, and MD.  Melee and Ranged damage would 1d10+Glaive value.  Focus damage would be 1d10+Focus

Jack would focus on skill use and trickery and would have  12/12/10 6 points to divide up between AC, PD (starts at +2) , and MD.  Playere would assign 1d6 or 1d6 to Melee damage and would assign whatever was left of the 1d6 or 1d8 to Ranged damage+Glaive.  Focus damage would be 1d8+Focus


Nano would focus on using magic/psionics/whatever and would have  12/10/10 6 points to divide up between AC, PD, and MD (starts at +2).  Weapons would do 1d4 damage.  Nano effect would do 1d10+Nano damage and Focus damage would be 1d12+Focus.

This is still very fought, but I'm trying to work it up and see if I want to give it a try.

No comments:

Monster Monday: Ork City's Chupacabra for Shadowdark

Welcome to Ork City! In the middle of Ork City's Hatt Island is the Park, a wild and dangerous forest filled with all manner of nightmar...