Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pondering D&D Next's Future

Mike Mearls spent the last several Legends and Lore talking about changes to Feats, Skills, Backgrounds and presumably, the removal of Themes from "Basic" DnD.

In my Ironcloak's game, I have access to all of the characters on my hard drive, so I copied and made changes based on what information he's given.

I removed most Feats and converted them to a +1 bonus to an Ability Score on a 1 for 1 basis.  With Feats being optional, I assume the concept of Themes is most likely being jettisoned or at least moved to an option.

I added Areas of Knowledge (a +10 bonus to a Lore, generally) and Proficiencies (and left room for some of these to be added during play) to Backgrounds and excised Skills completely.  I figure, if the Ability check calls for it based on Background or other circumstances, I'll give the character Advantage on the roll.

Thieves still have +Xd6 to Skills called out in their Schemes.

It's reduced the level of crunch and I like what I'm seeing.  I won't be able to test it for several weeks, but I'm anxious to do so.

I realize Skills (mentioned as a hybrid of 3.X and 4E) will be an optional component, but at this point in my gaming preferences, I don't see the need for them.


No comments:

Monster Monday: Ork City's Chupacabra for Shadowdark

Welcome to Ork City! In the middle of Ork City's Hatt Island is the Park, a wild and dangerous forest filled with all manner of nightmar...