Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan

The Strain, The Fall, and The Night Eternal.

I like good vampire fiction, but I don't read much of it.  Before this series my favorite vamp novel was King's Salem's Lot.  This is up there and at least neck and neck with it.

I picked up this series purely based on Mr. Del Toro's upcoming film, Pacific Rim.

The first two books are solid and move very fast.  A nice mixture of a good virus book with vampires thrown in.  What's interesting is seeing a vampire who IS trying to take over the world.

The second book's big reveal was something I'd seen coming, but it was still very interesting and added new depth to the character it's connected too.

The third book was slower...darker.  I'm sure that was the intent, but it was almost a chore to get through.  It was nice seeing the full story of the vampiric Master and it's end was shocking and emotional.  In fact, it's ending is what saved the book for me.

I recommend all three books and am glad I read them.


No comments:

Monster Monday: Ork City's Chupacabra for Shadowdark

Welcome to Ork City! In the middle of Ork City's Hatt Island is the Park, a wild and dangerous forest filled with all manner of nightmar...